Poinsettia…Poisonous or Not?…Part 2

The poinsettia is NOT poisonous

Pink PoinsettiaThe widespread belief that poinsettias are poisonous is a misconception. The scientific evidence demonstrating the poinsettia’s safety is well documented. Studies conducted by The Ohio State University in cooperation with the Society of American Florists concluded that no toxicity was evident at experimental ingestion levels far exceeding those likely to occur in a home or office environment. In fact, the POISINDEX Information Service, the main information source used by most poison control centers, states that a 50-pound child would have to ingest over 500 poinsettia bracts to surpass experimental doses. Even at this high level, no toxicity was demonstrated. As with all ornamental plants, poinsettias are not intended for human or animal consumption. It is known that certain individuals may experience an allergic reaction to poinsettias. However, the poinsettia has been demonstrated to be a safe plant. In fact, in 1992, the poinsettia was included on the list of houseplants most helpful in removing pollutants from indoor air. So, the poinsettia a safe and beautiful addition to your holiday decor and it can even help keep your indoor air clean.